Sunday, November 6, 2011

Leaving Peace Corps, but staying in Rwanda


            Over the summer I was at a hotel with friends in Gisenyi and met an ex-pat working on the Kigali Convention Center.  We were discussing being engineers, and I must have made an impression because he called me shortly after about a job position.  After a lengthy interview and negotiation process, I decided to take a job with his British engineering/architectural firm.  As of October 4, I am no longer a Peace Corps volunteer.   
            Don’t fear!  I still live in Rwanda, and will continue to keep the blog going on a bi-weekly basis.  I thought the job would be a good in-between point.  I would still be in Rwanda, which would mean that I could still visit and help my village, while at the same time getting a different vantage point of Rwanda.  I will be able to see how ex-pats and Kigalians live while still having the view of a Peace Corps volunteer.
            The decision to leave the Peace Corps was difficult.  I have really enjoyed my time in the Peace Corps, but was growing tired of having so much free time.  During my Peace Corps tenure, I read 40 books and have watched more television in the past year than in the past ten years combined.  I still wanted to be in Rwanda, and I wanted to travel, grow, and develop.  I also wanted to be active and more centrally located.  This job seemed to be the answer to those desires. 
            With this new job, there are almost no rules to what I can do in my off time.  I still am required to conduct myself well and be non-political, but otherwise I am free.  This will give me the ability to discover a lot more about Rwanda and go see places I would have not otherwise done.  You might notice a few small changes to the blog, and those reflect changes now that I am a civil engineer and not a Peace Corps volunteer.  However, my inquisitiveness and attitude have not changed.  I still want to help Rwandans, and teach you about Rwanda and east Africa. 
            The next blog will be in two weeks.  Stay tuned… 

No comments:

Post a Comment